Kombucha is healthy on its own, but hemp can make it even better. Hemp kombucha is the latest trend on the health food scene and has recently emerged in Australia as the next big thing for overall health and wellness. The land down under is leading the latest hemp health drink trend with “hemp kombucha Australia” increasing in Google searches in the country.
Kombucha is a sparkling fermented tea beverage that has been used for thousands of years for its reported health-giving properties. It’s rich in beneficial probiotics and enzymes and also contains antioxidants, along with an array of vitamins and minerals. The addition of hemp only enhances the therapeutic power of this uber-trendy drink.
Below, we will look at what hemp kombucha could do for your health and provide you with a step-by-step guide on how to make it at home.
What Is Hemp Kombucha and How Is It Made?
Hemp kombucha is like regular kombucha, but hemp seed oil is used as the base instead of tea. Similarly, it can come in several different flavors and variants. Typical kombucha brews include black or green tea and are sometimes flavoured with berries or other fruits after production.
Kombucha is brewed by adding a heap of SCOBY (Symbiotic Culture of Bacteria and Yeast) to a mixture of tea and sugar. The solution ferments as the bacteria and yeast feed on the tea and sugar. As a result, the sweet tea is converted to a probiotic, tart-tasting tonic with minimal sugar. To transform it into a hemp kombucha super drink, hemp seed oil is mixed into the concoction after the fermentation period.
All kombucha begins with a blend of tea leaves, water, and sugar. You start by boiling water, steeping the tea for approximately 20 minutes, and then dissolving the sugar in the warm tea. Next, the kombucha and SCOBY are added to the jar, which is then covered with a cloth and left to ferment in a dark place for 7 to 10 days. To turn it into a hemp kombucha, add your hemp seed oil.
If you wish to ferment it further, you can follow the steps for secondary fermentation. This involves decanting the kombucha you just made into clean, airtight jars. Keep some space at the top to add fruits, herbs, and ginger if you’re looking for more flavor. Now, start the fermentation process all over again by leaving it to stand for another 7 to 10 days. But this time, close the glass jar or bottle tightly.
As you can see, the process for making hemp oil kombucha is very similar to brewing regular kombucha. There are numerous recipes out there to follow, and we will give you instructions for making your own a little later.
What Are Hemp Kombucha’s Benefits?
Firstly, kombucha is an excellent source of probiotics. Due to the fermentation involved in making this health drink, it contains several species of lactic-acid bacteria, suggesting it could have a probiotic function. Probiotics feed the gut with healthy bacteria that could aid in digestion, inflammation and more.
Moreover, kombucha is widely reported to boost energy, support immunity, detoxify the body, and boost gut health. Adding hemp to the mix means that the benefits are twofold. Hemp is highly nutritious and packed with important vitamins and minerals, including vitamin C, B vitamins, fibre, calcium, iron, omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, and more.
No research has been done on the health benefits of hemp kombucha specifically. Instead, you can consider what kombucha and hemp can do for you individually to get an idea of how they may benefit your health when used together. Most notably, though. Kombucha is touted for its gut health benefits.
Hemp Kombucha Recipe: How to Make Your Own
Now for the fun part, learning how to make hemp kombucha.
To begin, you’re going to want to make sure you have all the necessary hemp kombucha ingredients and apparatus nearby.
What You’ll Need
- Large saucepan
- Several glass jar
- Muslin cloth and rubber bands or string
- 10 – 12 black/green tea bags or dried tea leaves and flower
- High-quality SCOBY
- 1 cup organic sugar
- 8 cups purified water (preferably)
- 1 cup premade (store-bought) kombucha
- 3 cups of your favorite juice for flavoring (optional)
- 1 tsp Premium Jane hemp oil
- The first step is to brew your tea. Boil 8 cups of clean, purified water in a large saucepan and add sugar. Stir until the sugar dissolves. Then, add your tea bags to the boiling water and let them steep.
- Allow the mixture to cool to room temperature. Don’t rush this step because if it’s too hot, the heat could kill the SCOBY.
- Once cooled, remove the tea bags and pour the tea into your glass jars. Leave a few inches at the top of each jar.
- Add ½ cup premade kombucha in your first batch (use equal amounts in each jar). For future batches, you can use your own previously made kombucha.
- Make sure your hands are clean and add equal amounts of SCOBY to each jar (it may sink or float, both scenarios are fine).
- Cover each jar with a muslin cloth and secure it with a rubber band or string. You could also cover with a cheesecloth, coffee filter, special fermentation covers, or something similar. The idea is to prevent any external contaminants from getting into your brew.
- Store the jars in a warm, dry place (the preferred temperature is 75–85˚F). Keep them away from other fermenting items.
- Leave to ferment for 7 to 10 days, depending on your taste. To test if your kombucha is ready, open the lid slightly and draw up some of the liquid using a straw. Taste it. Your brew is ready when it’s semi-sweet, yet bitter.
- Once your kombucha is ready, add a teaspoon of Premium Jane hemp seed oil .
- Now your hemp kombucha is ready to drink. Keep any leftover liquid in airtight containers to use for your next brew.
Final Thoughts: Making Hemp Kombucha
Although the process of fermentation means that making your own hemp kombucha is rather time-consuming, it’s actually a pretty easy recipe to follow. You can make a few adjustments to our recipe to suit your taste buds and needs, such as adding fruits or herbs for flavoring.
300mg Citrus Hemp Tincture (30ml)$65.00Rated 4.83 out of 56 reviews
- Subtle, all-natural citrus flavour
- Moderate amount of Hemp per serve (7.5mg)
- Lab-verified non-intoxicating formula
- Vegan-friendly, organically farmed
- Free from any pesticides, herbicides, solvents, heavy metals, or chemical fertilisers
- Grown in Kentucky, USA
600mg Mint Hemp Tincture (30ml)$110.00Rated 4.67 out of 56 reviews
- Hemp tincture with 15mg per serving (600mg total)
- Delicious and refreshing taste
- All-natural ingredients
- Lab-tested for quality assurance
- 30ml bottle with attached dropper
- Organically-grown hemp from Kentucky
- Suitable for vegans
1000mg Mint Hemp Tincture$160.00Rated 4.83 out of 56 reviews
- Contains 1000mg of hemp per 30ml bottle
- Infused with natural chocolate mint flavour
- Vegan-friendly and gluten-free
- Tested by third-party laboratories
- Made with organic, non-GMO hemp
- Crafted with thoughtful and straightforward ingredients